Bring the Orca “Lolita” Home – Walk a Mile, Lift a Pint and Show Your Support in Seattle

Please follow and like us:
Pin Share

10923313_824359907603397_9199364462504661247_n lolita march

Meet on Saturday January 17th, 1 pm. Alki Beach Park, West Seattle.

Gather at 1:00 p.m. at the Statue of Liberty plaza at Alki Beach Park (intersection of Alki Ave. S.W. and 61st Ave. S.W.). Lots of street parking within a few blocks, but give yourself time to park and walk to the plaza, which is located just west of the Alki BathHouse, in the grassy part of the park. Metro bus #50 stops across the street.  
We will walk approximately one mile at a slow pace on wide, level, paved pedestrian walkway, separated from traffic. The route is fully accessible.  Dogs welcome. 
We will have a simple closing ceremony at the end of the route, and then march across the street to the Celtic Swell, a family-friendly pub, to get out of the weather. Talented Seattle singer/songwriter/guitarist Jim Marcotte will share his original song about Lolita and some other good tunes as we warm up and socialize.  Details can be found on the event page.
For decades, people in Washington state (and worldwide) have been working to get “Lolita” out of captivity and back with her wild family.
Lolita has lived in the Miami Seaquarium for decades in a small pool without companions of her own species for most of the time…yet despite petitions, letters and calls to Congress, as well as weekly demonstrations at the Miami Seaquarium, the Seaquarium remains defiant and the government remains mute.

But this year’s walk may finally draw the attention needed to help the big whale in the tiny tank.
Organizers of the “Miracle March for Lolita” point to the increased awareness of orca captivity raised by the documentary Blackfish as well as challenges to the legality of having an endangered species in such dismal conditions as indication that changes are on the horizon.
It is not as if “Lolita” was given a good home or had an easy adjustment, and those factors play in to the deep anger that people feel about her continued confinement.

Eyewitness Account of the Orca “Lolita’s” Traumatic Arrival at the Amusement Park; Whale’s Name Linked to Miami Marketing

Pat Sykes, a former Miami Seaquarium  show assistant from June 1970 to August 1973, describes the traumatic arrival of the newly captured orca Lolita, and shares how  the whale got that name.  By sharing her experience, Pat gives us an unparalleled view into both the harsh reality of how callously this whale was treated, and how the young whale was linked by a powerful marketing agency to the city of Miami’s ‘subtly sexy’ image.

In Pat’s own words:
“Toki [Lolita] arrived at the Seaquarium in the first week of August 1970.  I was fresh out of high school and was one of 3 women hired to be what they called ,”Aquamaids” or “Show Assistants”.
She [Lolita] had a very hard time. She just barely floated.  The skin on her back cracked and bled from the sun and wind exposure.  She wouldn’t eat   the diet of frozen herring.
At night, she cried.
Just across the way swam Hugo, a beautiful juvenile orca who [had] arrived May 1968.  He was in the pre-fab brand new “whale Bowl”, which was a very big deal. First orca on the East Coast.   He heard her and whistled back.  He would swim around the tank faster and faster and smash rostrum-first into the inverted bubble  plexiglass window .  I told my superiors and the men in maintenance, and got dismissed as [being] a flannel headed 18-year-old.  “Oh he will never break it” “It can’t happen”  .
One night “it” did happen.  Hugo hit that bubble,breaking the front of the plexiglass.  510,000 gallons of refrigerated,chemically treated water rushed over his blowhole, almost drowning him.  The front of his rostrum was jaggedly severed.  Doc White did sew it back on with steel stitches but it never reattached.
Press/publicity in those days was handled out of Hank Meyers office, on Miami Beach. Jane Wrigley had the Miami Seaquarium account.  She heard what happened to Hugo, and referred to Toki as a “screaming Lolita”.”

This video shows that by 1971 “Screaming Lolita” and Hugo were sharing the tank – too small for even one whale – where Lolita lives today.

Hugo was also captured from Washington state. He died in 1980 from a brain aneurysm, the result of repeatedly bashing his head against the walls and windows of the tanks. This is where he was confined until he was moved with “Lolita” to the show pool.

Is there any redeeming value to having “Lolita” live at the Miami Seaquarium? Education? Ambassador? Absolutely not.
In the video below the trainer explains that “Lolita” might eat dolphins in the wild but has not eaten the dolphins in her tank…which is so wrong. “Lolita’s” type eat salmon and other fish, not marine mammals. (The trainer explains “Lolita’s” diet around the three minute mark).
The more people who turn up at the walk in Seattle, the louder the message – what the Miami Seaquarium took from the region was wrong, and keeping her is worse.

Please follow and like us:
Pin Share

Leave a Reply